About Claremont Consulting
John Tarvin, the principal of Claremont Consulting, a national firm, believes that all organizations and individuals have the capacity for continuous growth. Skilled at improving personal and collective effectiveness, John approaches each of his consulting assignments with a practiced approach to problem solving, grounded in his own extensive experiences as a president, executive director, COO, CFO, and chief development officer of a highly diverse set of nonprofit and for-profit organizations. As a result, he is able to quickly and accurately understand the organizational and personal challenges of his clients.
Prior to Claremont Consulting, John was the founding Executive Director of the Massachusetts Center for Charter Public School Excellence (MCCPSE), the statewide resource center for all of Massachusetts’ charter public schools. At MCCPSE, he:
- Provided targeted training programs to leaders, CFOs, principals, teachers, board members, and development specialists, and
- Consulted with charter schools on a wide variety of institutional and leadership concerns, such as strategic planning, governance and accountability, conflict resolution, organizational and programmatic restructuring, change management, and leadership coaching.
Before starting MCCPSE, John was President of Jumpstart, a $15 million, national AmeriCorps program, and previously served as Senior Vice President and CFO.
- As president, he guided the organization as it launched its first national public relations and fundraising campaign, “Read for the Record®,” which was featured on The Today Show, and oversaw the creation of a new brand identity for Jumpstart.
- As senior vice president, John managed the organization’s national fundraising efforts, successfully launching a $1 million national partnership with Sodexho, and secured a $1.25 million foundation grant to expand Jumpstart’s program in Washington, D.C.
- John also served as the CFO, managing the organization’s financial operations.
In addition to K-12 education and community service, John’s nonprofit management experience extends to two other sectors – early education and museums – where he was:
- CFO of Stars, a provider of comprehensive, early childcare programs.
- CFO and Acting President (on several occasions) at Historic New England, a museum of cultural history, where he stewarded the organization’s $85 million endowment; managed the finance, technology, and human resources departments; and expanded earned income opportunities.
- Board of Trustees member and treasurer of the Nichols House Museum.
Prior to becoming a nonprofit leader, John had a significant career in the for-profit sector:
- Finance manager for Fidelity Investments, where he directed a team of budget analysts who developed and tracked Fidelity Systems Company's $100 million budget.
- Systems analyst and accountant at Millipore Corp. and Prudential Insurance.
A certified coach through the International Coach Federation and a certified management accountant, John holds a:
- BS in business administration from Boston University and
- MS in computer information systems from Bentley University.
John has served on numerous boards and committees and as an evaluator for the following:
- Mass Development Charter School Facility Fund Advisory Board member,
- New York State Education Department charter school evaluator,
- Echoing Green fellowship reader/evaluator,
- Town of Milton, Mass. warrant committee member, and
- Milton Public Schools’ long-range planning committee member.
What Clients Say
“I was a brand new executive director when John Tarvin contracted with us to create our strategic plan. He was kind, thoughtful, helpful, and thorough. We have a great product that we use and monitor routinely as a result of his diligent work with us. I would recommend John to anyone looking for a talented advisor to help them navigate their strategic planning process." - Rebekah Gewirtz, Executive Director, MA Public Health Association
“As a new Executive Director tasked with implementing change in a 15-year-old organization, I faced a number of obstacles—including some borne of my own leadership and management style. John’s professional coaching helped me identify the areas I needed to improve in order to move my organization forward." - Robert Beatty, Executive Director, Atlantis Charter School
“Throughout the demanding chartering process, John provided me with high-touch support, which informed our school design and our strategies for board development and fundraising. His extensive expertise was tapped repeatedly, and his responsiveness was superb.” - Will Gardner, Executive Director, Alma del Mar